These savings accounts offer an alternative to 529 plans.
The following pages provide extensive guidance on Coverdell Accounts, formerly known as education IRAs.
- Coverdell Accounts Overview
- How a Coverdell Account Works
- How to Start a Coverdell Account
- Contributions to Coverdell Accounts
- Investments in Coverdell Accounts
- Earnings and Losses in Coverdell Accounts
- Tax-Free Withdrawals from Coverdell Accounts
- Using Coverdell Accounts with Other Tax Breaks
- Taxable Withdrawals and Penalty Rules
- Moving a Coverdell Account
- Changing the Beneficiary of a Coverdell Account
- Special Needs Beneficiary of a Coverdell Account
- Estate and Gift Tax Treatment of a Coverdell Account