Student – Time off from College, can’t claim as dependnt, recvng Recvry Credit

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics Student – Time off from College, can’t claim as dependnt, recvng Recvry Credit

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    pattycake
    Participant

My now 20 yr old son was in Community College Full Time in 2020 & I was able to claim him as a dependent for 2020. He didn’t attend College in 2021 & collected unemployment. I currently provide all financial Support. Because of his lack of Full Time College status I cant claim him as a dependent for 2021. I started preparing his 2021 tax return via Turbo Tax. He was set to get a $300.00 refund, but Turbo Tax said he was eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit of $1,400.00. Because I claimed him as a dependent in 2020 he would not have been eligible on his own for any of the stimulus payments, I was not eligible either. My son is planning to go back to College in Fall of 2022 Full Time & I will then claim him back as a dependent. Does it seem correct that he is eligible for this Recovery Rebate credit & will I have an issue with him receiving this credit for 2021 only for him to return to College Full Time in 2022? Turbo Tax will not allow me to reject this credit

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.