Student – Time off from College can’t claim as a dependent, recvg Recvry Credit

Home Fairmark Forum Kids and College Student – Time off from College can’t claim as a dependent, recvg Recvry Credit

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    pattycake
    Participant

My son went full time to community college in 2020, I was able to claim him as a dependent for 2020. He did not attend college Full Time in 2021 due to Covid, and collected unemployment in 2021, I provided all of his financial support.  I cannot claim him as a dependent.  I started preparing his 2021 tax return via Turbo Tax, and it started calculating a refund for him of $300.00, however, as the Turbo Tax program was continuing  it said he was eligible for something called the Recovery Rebate Credit for $1,400.00, & is now on target to get a refund for $1,700.00 total.  Note, because I claimed him in 2020, he would not have been eligible on his own for any stimulus payments, I was not eligible for them either.  He is planning on starting back up with College Full Time in Fall of 2022, and I will then claim him for 2022 has my dependent.  Does him getting the Recovery Rebate Credit seem correct according to Turbo Tax?, and will I have any issues with him receiving this Recovery Credit in 2021 only for him to return to College as a Full Time Student in 2022? There was no way on Turbo Tax for me to reject this credit.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.