Stimulus Payments

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics Stimulus Payments

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    DABU1989
    Participant

Dear All,

My daughter filed her federal and state taxes in 2019 as she had earnings from a summer job. She was a high school student in 2019 and claimed her as a dependent. As per CARES act, she received $1,200 payment in 2020. But she has not received the second stimulus check-$600.

We will be claiming her as a dependent in 2020 because she is a full-time student (freshman) at a state university and as parents provide more than 50% of her support.

Our daughter does not have any income in 2020. Since the second stimulus check is dependent on filing 2020 taxes because she has not received $600 before Jan. 15th, does our daughter need to file 2020 taxes? Please provide your suggestions and comments. Thanks for your help. Regards, Dabu.

jimfrombx
    Participant

I am unclear about your question. Who claimed your daughter, you or herself?
    If she was under 19, spent 5 months in school, and did not provide more than
    50% of her support, then I am not sure she was entitled to the $1200 payment.
    If you are claiming her in 2020, you will get what is deemed for dependents,
    and she is not required to file if she has no income.

Jim

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.