RMD for 2021

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    wj
    Participant

Somewhere I read that the IRS was going to change the Uniform Lifetime Table
    such that RMD’s for 2021 and beyond would be a bit lower than required by current table. Is that correct? has a new table been issued?

Thanks, WJ

Alan S.
    Participant

The IRS has not formally accepted the proposal as yet. IRA and qualified plan administrators need a couple months lead time to program their systems each year, so if the IRS has still not accepted the proposal by the end of October, they likely will not apply at least for 2021.

The proposed tables are here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-24065.pdf

wj
    Participant

Thanks Alan They probably are not in any hurry to reduce tax income, but I can hope!

WJ

Alan S.
    Participant

Another month has passed, and still no word from the IRS.

wj
    Participant

Still hoping. 17 days left in October!

WJ

Alan S.
    Participant

The final Regs for the proposed new RMD tables is due to be published on 11/12/2020. Unfortunately, the effective dates for the new tables has been pushed back to 1/1/2022, apparently due to complications of the Secure Act. Too much at once, aggravated by Covid.

https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/2020-24723/updated-life-expectancy-and-distribution-period-tables-used-for-purposes-of-determining-minimum

wj
    Participant

Thanks for info. Delay not great news for this 88 yearold, but better than nothing.
    I expect the final will not have changed from the proposed, but hope you can provide link when published.

WJ

Alan S.
    Participant

There is a link within the link I posted above that includes all the tables that will be published, so you can see what your divisors will be for 2022 and beyond now.

Come 2022 if you will be 90, your divisor under the new tables will be 12.2. If the current tables remained in place it would have been 11.4. Again, this is for 2022 RMD year.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Alan S..
    wj
    Participant

Thanks Alan

WJ

wj
    Participant

Did this change to the RMD tables finally pass?

wj
    Participant

And does it apply in 2021?

Alan S.
    Participant

The new tables are not effective until 2022, therefore your 2021 RMD is calculated using the current tables. This is official per the above link published 11/6/2020.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.