Received refund check for estimated payment applied to 2019 instead of 2020

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics Received refund check for estimated payment applied to 2019 instead of 2020

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jreality
    Participant

Received a large refund check today for an estimated payment I made in July that I accidentally applied to 2019 instead of 2020. I was led to believe applying to prior year didn’t matter. Today I received large refund check for that amount I had paid in July, plus interest. Is there a way I can have the IRS cancel the check I received today and apply the original amount paid in July to 2020?

If not, then does this mean I will have to deposit this check and then immediately make an estimated payment for 2020 since I’m now underpaid?

Will I now also to pay penalty plus interest, when I file for 2020, since I’m now 5 months late on the July 2020 estimated payment? If this can be corrected by having them cancel the check, let me know which number to call. Thanks. J.

kaneohe
    Participant

try 800-829-1040 you might get lucky

jreality
    Participant

I was able to get through (after reading through an article on how to get through to a live person and trying it twice) Was told I could void the back of the check, return it with an explanation and it could be applied to 2020. I was given a Refund Inquiry address to mail it back to so that’s what I did. Thanks.

kaneohe
    Participant

clever and hard work win again!!

grats!

jreality
    Participant

Well, now I’m stressed out, because I’m still waiting for the USPS return receipt to arrive back. The letter wasn’t delivered until 12/31 and the return receipt didn’t show up in tracking until 1/6 but there have been no updates on it since the 8th.

Also I received a 1099 from the IRS (actually a statement) for the interest portion of the check and I can only hope the check did arrive at the correct location (since tracking said it was delivered to a P.O. box even though it was addressed to a street address). I can only hope that they will eventually apply my original payment to 2020 and reverse the interest and issue a corrected statement. Not sure when all this will occur. Would be nice for the return receipt to eventually arrive back.

Looking for reassurance that what I was told when I spoke to the IRS is correct, meaning that the IRS will be able to cancel the check and issue a corrected 1099 indicating I did not receive interest for 2020, and apply the original payment to 2020. I just hope I won’t be told that they can only issue a new refund check or something like that.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by jreality.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.