Proof for charitable tax deduction

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics Proof for charitable tax deduction

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ej631
    Participant

A tax-deductible monetary donation given to a non-profit. Did not get a letter or receipt.The company name and the amount is on the credit card statement. Would this suffice to substantiate the tax deduction for tax return? The organization with the tax ID is listed in the IRS list of tax exempt organizations.

kaneohe
    Participant

I don’t know the real answer but in my mind, a credit card statement is like a bunch of medical bills that you may or may not pay. Perhaps the combination of the billing statement from cc along w/ the next one showing payment might suffice.

Easy enough to nag the charity for a receipt though……..they should be able to see the gift in their records and send out a (nother) receipt. Occasionally it takes 2 reminders. More than that and you might wonder why you are giving to them………..

ej631
    Participant

Thanks kaneohe.
    I think the billing statement along with the statement that shows payment, as you say, might suffice.
    I hesitate to ask for a receipt; it’s a small organization led by a new person, with a very limited staff.

snargle
    Participant

According to the IRS, a written acknowledgment from the recipient charity is *required* for any charitable donation of $250 or more to be deductible.

For a donation of less than that amount, proof of payment (a receipt, cancelled check, credit card charge, whatever…) should suffice.

Read all about it here in IRS’s Publication 1771:
    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1771.pdf
    It’s only seven pages long!!!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by snargle.
    kaneohe
    Participant

snargle is correct. Here’s something from IRS https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/substantiating-charitable-contributions

and it’s only 1 page long! I forgot that you might have “bought” something from them so the cc statement only proves that you gave them some $$$. The receipt is supposed to include those words
    that you got nothing substantial back.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by kaneohe.
    ej631
    Participant

Just read it. Thanks snargle!

ej631
    Participant

Thanks again kaneohe!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.