I filed 2021 correctly; wrongly chose to pay Est Payments on full 2021 tax

Home Fairmark Forum Taxation of Investments I filed 2021 correctly; wrongly chose to pay Est Payments on full 2021 tax

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    TaxationRobbers
    Participant

I wanted to make payments based on MY Estimate of what I will earn.  How can I change that now?  Do I have to wait until my Fed & IL State are fully processed?

Will I then have to pay penalties & interest because I chose to pay the highest amount based on full 2021 Tax?  Or is there a way to change to my own Estimate, which I believe either has to be done on a form, or on Turbotax, it can be done by choosing the option to pay on one’s own Estimate?  You can’t do anything on Turbotax now from what I can see.

Kaye Thomas

You never have to justify estimates, or a mid-year change in estimates. You could pay $20,000 the first quarter, $5,000 the next quarter, and nothing the rest of the year, without explaining the drop-off. It’s not unusual for people to change their estimates during the year based on a change in income or even a change in the amount of cash they have available to make the payments.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Taxation of Investments’ is closed to new topics and replies.