How to approach IRS after letter

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics How to approach IRS after letter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jannie
    Participant

IRS wrote say I owe more because of retirement income – they evidently didn’t see on my tax form QCD (which is on my copy of the form that was sent via computer)
    a. do I send the copy (which they should have). Or my acknowledgment letters from the Charities? I’m not sure the IRA’s really noted QCD on their forms at that time the next yr they did different.
    Not sure it’d be worth getting the Computer tax program “support” involved.
    I’m thinking the IRS saw the QCD, but didn’t believe it.
    Any assistance from someone who has had to deal with the IRS would be appreciated. But, I don’t want to pay a huge amount of tax plus interest, for money that was already given directly to charity.

kaneohe
    Participant

does line 4a of the 1040 reflect the info shown on the 1099R? and does line 4b of the 1040 reflect the total distributions less the QCD?

Jannie
    Participant

On the paper IRS sent show the retirement total (and if I add that up that”s correct). On the copy that I kept from the computer program printed off – it shows 4a being that amount then 4b being a smaller amount (which is after the QCD’s were deducted. & the QCD printed below the wording. I don’t know if just to send that or if I have to send the charity letter where it shows the amount & thank you.etc.

kaneohe
    Participant

Unless IRS is asking for the receipts, I probably wouldn’t send them yet.
    Perhaps explain what you did there and see if that satisfies them. Perhaps they missed the QCD note. Perhaps send a copy of the page w/
    the QCD note.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by kaneohe.
    Jannie
    Participant

Thanks will try that first sending the copy of the page – I can send the acknowledgment letters – but would be easier not digging them up. Hurrah, I kept the papers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.