How long is the edit window?

Home Fairmark Forum Our Website How long is the edit window?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    47percent
    Participant

Unlike the previous software, the new message board software doesn’t seem to allow unlimited anytime edits to the original post by OP.

I am not sure what the exact edit policy and restriction is. But I was able to edit my post once, but hen I tried to add/clarify some points, I couldn’t find the edit option again.

It would be useful let OP edit their post rather than replying to their own post to add/clarify.

Kaye Thomas

We installed this software with the default setting, which is to allow edits for five minutes. Given the complexity of topics discussed here, it would be reasonable to allow more time to consider clarifications or other changes, though some kind of time limit still seems to make sense for the benefit of those who are reading or responding to the post. What’s your thought?

47percent
    Participant

Some threads do not get any meaningful responses for weeks or even months together. Only as the responses start coming any missing information or need for additional information becomes evident — especially because the person asking the question, presumably lacking subject matter expertise, doesn’t even realize the dependencies in the first place.

So, my preference would be to have it the way it used to be — sans any time limits.

It worked fine with people self identifying any changed/added information clearly and marking it as such. It would be good to leave it as a matter of etiquette and good practice than an imposed regulation.

Other bulletin boards that follow timed window for edits are typically for 1) comments only, 2) for subjects that are themselves time-dependent with limited shelf-life, and 3) typically involve multitudes of one-time or very occasional visitors/posters. In this forum, on the other hand, the interaction is two-way, the subjects are evergreen, and the user community is made up largely of a small number of repeat visitors.

Thanks..

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by 47percent.
    Kaye Thomas

Fair points. For now we’re leaving a limit in place but setting it as two hours. We’ll reconsider later as needed based on experience.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.