Fund a VA NAP With A Qualified Charitable Distribution From an IRA?

Home Fairmark Forum Retirement Savings and Benefits Fund a VA NAP With A Qualified Charitable Distribution From an IRA?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ReachELS
    Participant

The state of Virginia allows a 65% VA Tax Credit for donations to Neighborhood Assistance Programs (NAP).

My long-range planning suggests that I will struggle to keep my MAGI below the threshold for Medicare IRMAA charges once my RMDs kick in. One solution for reducing MAGI is to make a Qualified Charitable Distribution directly from one’s IRA to a charity. This contribution, which will satisfy a portion of your RMD, reduces the reported distribution on your 1099-R by the contribution amount thereby lowering your MAGI.

So, I was wondering…

Assume I was to make a charitable contribution – directly from my IRA – to one of the qualified NAP programs. I cannot deduct the contribution as a charitable deduction as the money has never been taxed in the 1st place. But…can I get the 65% VA Tax Credit?

Alan S.
    Participant

As you can see from the following article, you cannot get the full benefits of the QCD and the NAP credit.

Q&A: Can I Still Use a QCD to Get State Tax Credits?

You do have a two choices however and will have to determine which combination provides the most benefit.

ReachELS
    Participant

Thank you Alan.

Not sure how I quoted my Google search to not find that link.

This is a classic illustration of “The Law of Unintended Consequences”. The high-tax state legislators create a silly scheme to circumvent the SALT limitation that they had to know would not fly. The IRS (naturally) issues new guidelines to thwart their efforts but, in doing so, impacts not only the frivolous SALT scheme but legitimate charitable programs as well.

These programs (NAP, Conservation Easements, etc) were caught in the crossfire…and will suffer as a result.

A pox on all their houses.

Alan S.
    Participant

Yes, and this IRS ruling also scaled back tax benefits in some states with state tax credits that did not enact any state legislation regarding the SALT limits.

Trinkflasche
    Participant

Wir waren alle dort … Sie haben gerade eine brandneue Wasserflasche gekauft und Sie hassen sie bereits: Sie ist zu klein, passt nicht in den Flaschenhalter Ihres Fahrrads, riecht nach Plastik und die Farbe ist langweilig. Fürchte dich nicht, wir haben eine Reihe cooler Tipps zusammengestellt, die dir helfen sollen, eine Flasche auszuwählen, die du lieben wirst und die hoffentlich etwas länger als zwei Wochen aufbewahrt werden soll.

Trinkflasche

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.