Filing for deceased parent

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics Filing for deceased parent

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    pattycake
    Participant

My mom died in 2017, she had a small bank account (a few hundred dollars) & her home she shared with my dad. I filed a joint return (I help with the taxes) for both of them in 2017, and filed a single tax return for dad in 2018. We kept an estate bank account for my mom open until 2019 to make sure there were no small bills that came in. I closed out mom’s estate bank acct in June 2019 after all bills in her name came in and were paid. Do I need to file anything with the IRS/State taxes for mom’s estate to show the estate is now closed? If so, what document & not sure who would sign the document as my dad was Mom’s executor but Dad died in June 2019?

Florida
    Participant

I filed my mom’s final return in 2019 for 2018 and that was the end of any paperwork with the IRS. Don’t know why I would file anything additional.

Lewis-H
    Participant

All income up to the date of death must be reported and all credits and deductions to which the decedent is entitled may be claimed. File the return using Form 1040 or 1040-SR or, if the decedent qualifies, one of the simpler forms in the 1040 series (Forms 1040 or 1040-SR, A).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.