Est Tax Pmts

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics Est Tax Pmts

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kaneohe 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

boydra
    Participant

If my 1st qtr est tax pmt was more than enough to meet my full year tax obligation, do I still need to make est tax pmts for 2nd, 3rd and 4th qtr?

dienerte
    Participant

If your first quarterly estimated tax payment made by April 15, 2019 satisfies your tax obligations for tax year 2019, no further tax payments would be required. Tom D.

kaneohe
    Participant

If you want to convince yourself, try filling in F2210
    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2210.pdf

pt I and pt IV

snargle
    Participant

If someone tries to tell you that your quarterly federal estimated income tax payments have to be, or should be, equal, you have my permission to laugh at that person.

boydra
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies… I get great help from this forum

kaneohe
    Participant

If someone tries to tell you that your quarterly federal estimated income tax payments have to be, or should be, equal, you have my permission to laugh at that person.

They don’t have to be equal but…………. aren’t things easier if they are or if you pay faster than equal payments?

snargle
    Participant

Easier for whom?

kaneohe
    Participant

for the taxpayer if they don’t have to fill out SchAI of the 2210.

sselm
    Participant

Schedule AI is needed to report unequal income, not unequal payments. Unequal payments just keep you from using the “short method” of Form 2210. The “regular method” doesn’t require extra record-keeping, and with tax prep software it should take no extra time or effort to fill out.

kaneohe
    Participant

No disagreement here…………….just trying to respond to previous comment that equal payments aren’t necessary. They aren’t if you front-load the payments (pay faster than equal), but if you backload the payments (not OP’s case), there may be problems unless you can show that payments reflected timing of income.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.