Effect of transferring TIAA IRA originating from 403(b) to different custodian

Home Fairmark Forum Retirement Savings and Benefits Effect of transferring TIAA IRA originating from 403(b) to different custodian

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    wanttoknow
    Participant

I have a Roth IRA with TIAA that originated from a 403(b), and have the right to convert the IRA assets to tax-free annuity income. This type of IRA originating from a 403(b) is called an “Investment Solutions IRA” by TIAA.

TIAA offers a variety of pay-out annuity income products. The annuity income originating from an “Investment Solutions IRA” is calculated at a higher rate than the other annuity products because the expense ratio is lower.

I plan to convert my IRA to annuity income in 3-4 years, and in the meantime would like to invest it in a non-TIAA bond mutual fund.

To get the mutual fund I want I might have to transfer the IRA to a different custodian.

Would there be any problem in getting the IRA back into a TIAA “Investment Solutions IRA” 3-4 years later when I want to start getting the annuity income?

If TIAA doesn’t then recognize that this is money that originated from the TIAA 403(b), then I won’t be able to get the most favorable annuity income benefit.

Alan S.
    Participant

I have no idea, and no familiarity with TIAA, other than knowing they have their own proprietary rules and names for account types. But I think there is a good chance that a transfer out of TIAA would disqualify the funds for an “investment solutions account”. TIAA could probably give you an answer now, but would it be honored 3 years later? Is another bond mutual fund in today’s bond market worth taking the chance?

wanttoknow
    Participant

Thanks, Alan.

I was thinking about how if you transfer a Roth IRA from one custodian to another, and then years later back to the original custodian, the original custodian recognizes that it’s a Roth.

So I was thinking that maybe TIAA would recognize that this is an IRA originating from a TIAA 403(b) that is coming back to them.

But now I see that, even if they did, whether they would then make the most favorable annuity available is a separate matter.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.