Distribution in kind of Irrevocable stock/bond asset

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics Distribution in kind of Irrevocable stock/bond asset

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lite1A
    Participant

Can a Trustee of an irrevocable Trust distribute stock and bond positions to a beneficiary? I know that tax code allows this when the Trust is dissolved per the terms of the Trust document, but my ? is regarding anything in the IRS tax code that prevents this happening each year?

To give context, the Trust has common stock and mutual fund positions with significant long term capital gain. Beneficiary would likely continue to hold the asset for a period of time. Rather than realize the cap gain in the trust and distribute cash, distribution in kind seems preferable as even if sold immediately the beneficiary on their own 1040 form would pay cap gains tax at a lower rate.

Lewis-H
    Participant

An “in-kind” distribution is a payment made in the form of securities or other property, rather than in cash. A distribution in kind may be made in several different situations, including a stock dividend, inheritance or taking securities out of a tax-deferred account.

lite1A
    Participant

Thanks Lewis-H; I had already determined from a different source that distributing stock/bond position from Trust to beneficiary is not an issue; does not become a taxable event for beneficiary until such time as said position received is sold at profit/loss. In this situation B. “inherits” the cost basis of the Trust rather than a stepped up basis.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.