Deceased parent 2019 how to report

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics Deceased parent 2019 how to report

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    pattycake
    Participant

HI, my dad died in June 2019 (he was a widdower), & was retired as a self employed house painter. His only income was social security. I was just completing his Fed & NJ 1040 forms for 2019 to mail when I saw an article that mentioned filing an Estate Form 1041 (Estates & Trusts). My dad had no assets (no money in bank, no pension etc) other than his home. My sister & I are the executors, we have not done anything with the house, (sell/retitle) since my brother still still lives there and has so for the last 48 years. Do I have to fill out both the Fed 1040 form for 2019 and the Fed Form 1041 for 2019. I don’t know if both are required, the 1040 does not mention sending in a death certificate, so not sure if I have to document in with either form. Thanks

Lewis-H
    Participant

When filing an individual return, you should Write the word “DECEASED,” the decedent’s name, and the date of death across the top of the tax return. The final income tax return is due at the same time the person’s return would have been due if they had not died.

pattycake
    Participant

Thanks but Im a little confused. So I’m filling out the 2019 Fed 1040 with deceased written on it and submitting it before July 15 (new tax deadline). Am I also filling out the federal 1041 even though we haven’t done anything as far as selling or keeping thee house or distributing any proceeds? If we have to fill out the 1041 why would we check off the box final instead of initial. I dont even know what the purpose of the 1041 is?

Kaye Thomas

Form 1041 is used to report information relevant to estate tax. Because your father was not wealthy, you don’t have to file it except in the unlikely case your father had a beneficiary who is a nonresident alien.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.