Deceased Dad- D0 I file a 1040 for Estate for 2020 when no activity?

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics Deceased Dad- D0 I file a 1040 for Estate for 2020 when no activity?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    pattycake
    Participant

My dad died in 2019. I filed a 2019 IRS & State Form 1040 for Dad as an individual & put down deceased. Dad had no assets except his house. A few weeks ago in 2021 I, as the executor transferred dad’s house thru a quitclaim deed for $1.00 to my brother who has been living there his whole life (all siblings agreed & Deed is now in my brother’s name). The only other asset for Dad is a small bank account ($10K) in the name of Dad’s estate that we left open in order o receive a potential litigation claim. If successful, those funds would be deposited to Estate bank account and then be split between the siblings. My question is do I need to file an IRS & State 1040 for Dad’s Estate for 2020 when there has been no activity? How about for 2021 involving the transfer of the house to my brother and a potential litigation settlement?

chunmin89

Join hands to protect the health of loved ones and the community from corona virus with the best practices that health experts recommend wearing a mask daily in public places and washing hands with an antiseptic solution. fireboy and watergirl

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.