Back door Roth and SEP contribution in the same year

Home Fairmark Forum Retirement Savings and Benefits Back door Roth and SEP contribution in the same year

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bruce1950
    Participant

Hello
    A friend has no TIRA and her MAGI exceeds the single Roth contribution max, so would like to do a back door Roth. She has no existing SEP or SIMPLE IRAs. No problem, I told her. But she is self employed and I figured she can contribute $35,000 to a SEP for the same year, which she wants to do.

Question: does the SEP balance at the end of the year mean that she has to pro-rate the amount of the back door Roth conversion?

Looking at Part I of the 8606 it appease she does. The three bullet point conditions at the beginning of Part I on who must complete part I, includes “You made non-deductible contributions to a TIRA for the year”, which she in fact has. And it would seem the timing during the year would make no difference.

Working through Part I with a $7,000 after tax contribution to the TIRA and adding $35,000 to SEP for 2020, working through the 8606, this means about 16.7%, or only $1,167 of the $7,000 would be converted without tax…the remainder would be income.

Do you agree?

If so, would it matter if the SEP contribution for 2020 were made in 2021, because I believe the individual has up until Oct 15 to make the SEP contribution for the previous year.

Thanks

BruceM

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Bruce1950.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Bruce1950.
    Alan S.
    Participant

Yes, the pro rating done on Form 8606 will result in most of the conversion being taxable if she has this SEP balance on 12/31/2020. As you indicated, she can avoid the tax by making the 2020 SEP contribution in 2021 by the due date or by the extended due date of 10/15 if she files a timely extension for her 2020 return. If she has not made a 2019 contribution, she also has 2 days to make that ND contribution in addition to the 2020 contribution she will make. She could then convert them in a single 14k tax free conversion. Of course, once she does fund the SEP IRA, that will compromise future back door Roth conversions after this year. One solution is to fund a solo K instead of the SEP IRA since that will eliminate the pro rating issues as well as the potential for a larger contribution than she could make as a SEP contribution. In addition, starting with 2020 contributions, a solo K can be established later than in the past. For 2020 contributions the solo K only needs to be established by the due date plus extensions for filing the 2020 return, so there is plenty of time to consider this.

Bruce1950
    Participant

Thanks Alan. As I thought

BruceM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.