1099R For Non-qualified Annuity

Home Fairmark Forum Retirement Savings and Benefits 1099R For Non-qualified Annuity

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kaneohe
    Participant

I have a non-qualified annuity with Pre-TEFRA basis. In 2019 I removed an amount equal to that Pre-TEFRA basis so I could deal with the consequences while I am still on this earth. The first line reps at this company didn’t sound like they knew much this and they made it sound like it would be taxable. I finally got them to find someone who knew more who acknowledged that the withdrawal would not be taxable.

I have not received a 1099R yet and when I called in and talk to a first line rep, he said he did not see a 1099R and said it was because it was not taxable (progress!). I expected a 1099R showing the withdrawal but no taxable amount. What code would be used in Box 7 (I assume the IRA box would not be checked)? I couldn’t find anything related to pre-TEFRA basis for coding.

Or are they correct that a 1099R is not needed?

kaneohe
    Participant

https://www.lfg.com/wcs-static/pdf/IRS%20Form%201099-R%20FAQ.pdf

” The other distributions that did not include any taxable gain and are considered return of cost basis would have only a numeric distribution code in Box 7″

This link suggests that I should get a 1099R with code 7 in box 7 with
    distribution and 0 taxable amount in appropriate boxes?

kaneohe
    Participant

I talked to a supervisor who got a more experienced rep who says they normally do not issue a 1099R when the distribution is not taxable.
    Looking for a tie-breaker.

Alan S.
    Participant

The 1099 R instructions call for a 1099R, in your situation a code 7 1099R with Box 1 and Box 5 equal amounts. However, if they don’t issue one they might have received some general exemption from the IRS in certain cases, so I would not worry about it, other than to have some other method of keeping track that you have received your pre TEFRA investment back.

kaneohe
    Participant

Thanks, appreciate the help,Alan.

Lewis-H
    Participant

Your non-qualified annuity is funded with after-tax funds, which make up the cost basis portion of your annuity. If your distributions are 100% cost basis, then the taxable amount of the distribution is $0.00, then Box 2a of your Form 1099-R will be blank.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.