1040 ES

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lilac
    Participant

Need advice, what should I do? I sent my 1040ES 2020 in Dec 28,2020 by certified mail, address to IRS POBox in San Francisco. The tracking listed my mail was delivered on Dec 30 at San Francisco. I read that IRS PO Box in San Francisco location is going to close permanently on Dec 31,2020. After that date, mail will be forwarded to a different location. But the problem was my check was never cash by IRS. I called IRS, it took me 30 min on hold, but when finally I got someone that answered my phone, she couldn’t tell why my check is still outstanding and she didn’t even know that the POBox in SF is closing on Dec 31,2020.

My question: Should I make a stop payment on the check or just leave it alone and what should I do when I file my tax later on, do I include that amount or not ? If not, I will have to pay interest penalty.
    Thank you .

Kaye Thomas

I would wait. Certainly not stop payment on the check. IRS is slow now because of covid, and closing of that address is a further complicating factor. It’s highly unlikely the IRS has lost it or it has fallen into the wrong hands.

Chances are the check will be cashed within the next few weeks. If you must file your return before the situation is clarified, claim the payment. You met your obligation by sending the check. The delay in cashing it isn’t your fault.

Lilac
    Participant

Thank you very much Kaye, but I just realize this evening that even though the check was made payable to IRS but I sent it with the wrong form, not 1040 ES but 540 ES which is california state. Sadfully I didn’t copy the form before I sent it but I just found the remainder of the 540ES form that I cut the section of for this last quarter.

I will follow your advice not to stop payment, but what should I do with the form ? Send a 1040 ES with a letter explaining the situation Or will they cash the check even it was accompanied with a wrong form ?

Appreciate your advice.

Lilac
    Participant

I am glad I followed your advice Kaye, not to stop payment on my check. IRS did cashed my check 3 months later, on March 29, 2021 so now I can file my 2020 tax return. Thanks again.

Kaye Thomas

Glad it worked out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.