Reply To: 2nd Stimulus Check and Late Tax Filing

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics 2nd Stimulus Check and Late Tax Filing Reply To: 2nd Stimulus Check and Late Tax Filing

JustWondering
Participant

The news about another “bi-partisan” stimulus is everywhere, but the news stories talk about it being tied up in the politics of the presidential election. I’m thinking it could happen regardless of the outcome of the election since the items that are stalling the bill have more to do with whether there will be a standalone stimulus package (Trump and the Republicans want) or an omnibus stimulus (Pelosi and the Senate Democrats have been pushing for other aid to be included as well). Both seem to be say they want to include direct payments, but neither want to give an advantage to the other in the upcoming election. I’m not commenting on the merits of either side (that is way beyond the scope of this thread and my question), just that both seem to be supporting additional direct payments as part of their respective proposals so once the election is over, they may be more inclined to compromise.