Reply To: How to fix declaring qualified dividends?

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics How to fix declaring qualified dividends? Reply To: How to fix declaring qualified dividends?


(Apologies is this is a duplicate post – website says it is but refreshing the page shows my earlier post got lost.)

Thanks for the reply, Kaneohe.

Regarding “I do not understand why you do not know if IRS has made an adjustment or not. Are they asking for more money?”:

Yes, they are asking for more money. They sent me a notice saying I owe more taxes than what I specified. There are a lot of things on that notice including “We found a miscalculation on your 2019 Form 1040 which affects […] Tax Computation. We changed your return to correct this error. As a result, you owe $…”

Later they have a table comparing my vs their line numbers for lines 8b (AGI), 11b (taxable income), and 16 (total tax). 8b and 11 are identical. Line 16 shows the difference. They do not show any other lines for my return but only these 3.

Yes, if I make QDIV 0, I get the same difference as what they computed. So I am sure this is related to my omitting that line.

Regarding filling out 1040-X, I think you are saying I indeed fall into category
(B) You are changing amounts on your original return or as previously adjusted by the IRS.

rather than the simpler category (that only needs part III)

(A) You are only changing information.

With that in mind, regarding filling in the same numbers for column A and column C, according to 1040-X instructions “Column A. Enter the amounts from your original return. However, if you previously amended that return or it was changed by the IRS, enter the adjusted amounts.”

I thought this means that I may have to enter IRS amount in column A for the the tax line 6 on 1040-X, as I might be falling under the “or it was changed by the IRS” part?

Another question that comes to mind – what to attach to 1040X?
Should I attach new form 1040 with correct box 3a filled in and the same otherwise? For example, after I filed my original 1040, I still had amount due as per my original (correct) calculation, so I sent another payment after filing original 1040X. Should my newly attached 1040 now reflect that payment as having already been made or I would file it as if I did not make that payment yet, just like on the original return?

What else can I do? Somehow after they get my 1040-X, would they relate it to the notice they had generated? They provide a phone number to call them about it if I disagree with the amount due but the phone number ends up saying they are too busy and to call another day (I will try tomorrow but something tells me I will keep getting same message or will get someone on the line that perhaps won’t know enough?). Another option is to apparently ask for reversal in writing but then they say they might send it for audit and that does not sound like fun.

Thanks a lot for your help!