Reply To: Since the Infrastructure was passed, will Long Term Capital Gains be Retroactive

Home Fairmark Forum Taxation of Investments Since the Infrastructure was passed, will Long Term Capital Gains be Retroactive Reply To: Since the Infrastructure was passed, will Long Term Capital Gains be Retroactive

TaxationRobbers
Participant

Kaye Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. It is your site, so you make the rules. However, I don’t see how you can separate the politics involved here, as it is directly and intimately connected to the topic.

You can’t discuss major Capital Gains changes without bringing the very source of any such changes without bringing up the government. And, after all, tax law changes are part and parcel of the government, be it the IRS or the administration.

This applies as well to the final version of the second piece of legislation. I am confused, however, as to when this would be applicable to stock bought or sold prior to the date of committee action. I am unclear as to whether it will be legal for such changes to take effect as of the date of committee action, “even though final enactment of the law occurs some time later.”

A clarification would be appreciated.