Reply To: 403(b) => Roth IRA after age 59-1/2

Home Fairmark Forum Retirement Savings and Benefits 403(b) => Roth IRA after age 59-1/2 Reply To: 403(b) => Roth IRA after age 59-1/2

thales
Participant

Thank you, Alan. So I made another call to the plan, this time a different rep, who also had not heard of the $20k limit rule, and I had to read what the pubs. say. He says if that’s what the the doc says, then I may be right. I asked him to let me know if he gets a definitive answer, which I’m not sure he will.

I just took a look at last year’s Form IT201 (NY income tax form), and indeed, there are two lines under “New York Subtractions” that correspond to exactly the two categories we were talking about:

Line 26 “Pensions of NYS and local governments and the federal government”
Line 29: “Pension and annuinty income exclusion”

So my understanding is if it’s complete subtraction, I should fill line 26 the total amount (I guess this is when I retire and rollover the 401(a));
if it’s subject to the $20k limit (403(b) as it seems now, I should fill out line 29 the amount $20k (if I rollover more than $20k).

Seems this will be where the rollover enters the tax return and there is no extra dreaded form to fill. Hope so?

Thanks again for your time and help.