Reply To: Structuring a $60k gift from couple to couple?

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics Structuring a $60k gift from couple to couple? Reply To: Structuring a $60k gift from couple to couple?

47percent
Participant

For these kind of questions you will always get slightly different answers from different people.

If I were you, and if this is not a hypothetical question and I was actually planning to give/receive the gift this is what I would do.

1) Make it four checks for $15k each.
2) Have the persons writing the checks write the check from an individual account, if available, in any case only the deemed donor should sign the check
3) write the donee’s name individually in the checks. The donee (recipient) should personally deposit by signing on the back of the check.. even if it is into a joint account.

If for some reason the above logistics is not at all possible, then it may be worth looking into and taking shortcuts. Otherwise, why even bother?

The reason being, you don’t have to guess what the right answer is for questions such as “have you given more than $15k” etc. All it takes is 3 extra check leaves and a couple more minutes.