Reply To: Can I use my judgment in deciding on a Qual. Tuition and Related Expense?

Home Fairmark Forum Kids and College Can I use my judgment in deciding on a Qual. Tuition and Related Expense? Reply To: Can I use my judgment in deciding on a Qual. Tuition and Related Expense?

Dyons
Participant

Thanks again for your thoughtful response, Kaye.

Responding to two points you raised:
1) No, the “maintenance fee” is included as a part of the fees for the “summer sea term”, as the marine academy calls it. It is paid to the school, and to no other entity – just like the spring and summer “shore” terms.
2) There is a “transportation fee” also included for the summer sea term. This is a non-QTRE, as per the rules you quoted. This transportation is for a cadet to fly to a foreign port where the ship is docked to start his sea term, or to fly back to the US after his 45 day term ends. (The ship goes from the academy in the US to Europe and back.)

Thus, one again, this “maintenance fee” appears to be something special. It is not student-specific, essential for their degree (licensing requirements) and seems to meet all the conditions of a QTRE. However, for reasons best know to them, the school does not think so.

The question is if I can.

Thanks again.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Dyons.