Reply To: Qualified Opportunity Funds

Home Fairmark Forum Taxation of Investments Qualified Opportunity Funds Reply To: Qualified Opportunity Funds

Kaye Thomas

I don’t know if an opportunity fund mutual fund is a practical possibility, given the hurdles involved in registration and illiquidity of the underlying assets.

As for the question about Form D being finalized, I don’t know either. I used to do the tax work on offerings of this general type, and a little understanding of the securities law concerns rubbed off, but in that area I barely know enough to be dangerous. I note that a Form D filing has to be made no later than 15 days after the first sale, so it isn’t necessary to finalize it before beginning sales. I don’t know how long is typical for it to be finalized, or what it might indicate if the process is taking longer than usual. Bear in mind it’s possible they finalized the filing but forgot to update this page of their website. However, these forms are supposed to be available to the public through EDGAR, and I wasn’t able to pull this up, which may or may not be due to my having failed to make a proper search.