Reply To: Received refund check for estimated payment applied to 2019 instead of 2020

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics Received refund check for estimated payment applied to 2019 instead of 2020 Reply To: Received refund check for estimated payment applied to 2019 instead of 2020

jreality
Participant

I made an appointment to go a local IRS office next week and discuss this matter in person. Over the phone, they still say there is nothing in their system about it having been received, but that there are delays due to COVID. When I mention that it has been 10 weeks since it was delivered, and ask how much longer until we conclude this was somehow lost (either because they somehow didn’t receive it, or they lost it internally, or something else went wrong internally and intervention is required), then they have no answer on what the maximum waiting time should be.

Seems very unprofessional to me that 10 weeks can elapse and they can’t acknowledge it was received or not. And they tell me they have no way of contacting the Refund Inquiry department to find out what is going on. Also, when I mention that I was originally told it would take 4 to 6 weeks to process it, and covid was around back then, the rep said “I can’t speak for what someone else told you”

I was told by one rep that meeting with the IRS with a photo copy of the returned check could be helpful, even though another rep (a rude one with an attitude) previously told me that my going in person to discuss this “isn’t going to do anything” Am I wasting my time meeting in person about this? Will they be able to do anything for me, or will I at least be able to leave with a written acknowledgement that I came in person to discuss this matter?

Thanks.