Reply To: Received refund check for estimated payment applied to 2019 instead of 2020

Home Fairmark Forum Other Tax Topics Received refund check for estimated payment applied to 2019 instead of 2020 Reply To: Received refund check for estimated payment applied to 2019 instead of 2020

jreality
Participant

Well, now I’m stressed out, because I’m still waiting for the USPS return receipt to arrive back. The letter wasn’t delivered until 12/31 and the return receipt didn’t show up in tracking until 1/6 but there have been no updates on it since the 8th.

Also I received a 1099 from the IRS (actually a statement) for the interest portion of the check and I can only hope the check did arrive at the correct location (since tracking said it was delivered to a P.O. box even though it was addressed to a street address). I can only hope that they will eventually apply my original payment to 2020 and reverse the interest and issue a corrected statement. Not sure when all this will occur. Would be nice for the return receipt to eventually arrive back.

Looking for reassurance that what I was told when I spoke to the IRS is correct, meaning that the IRS will be able to cancel the check and issue a corrected 1099 indicating I did not receive interest for 2020, and apply the original payment to 2020. I just hope I won’t be told that they can only issue a new refund check or something like that.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by jreality.