Fairmark.com offers a wealth of free resources, including tax tips, news, and extensive online guides to help people with investment strategies and tax planning and compliance. Fairmark also publishes plain language books on taxes and investing. We chose the name Fairmark to highlight fairness and accuracy as goals for the material we publish.
We started this website in 1998 and published our first book in 2000. We operate from Elgin, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago.
Kaye Thomas is the author of the material on this website and the books offered by Fairmark Press. His writing draws on many years of experience as a tax lawyer, consultant and public speaker, but he no longer accepts new clients.
Our books for general audiences are written in a direct, informal style that makes them easy for anyone to read, yet they are authoritative enough to be used by a tax professional or investment advisor:
- That Thing Rich People Do, a plain language explanation of the key principles of investing.
- Consider Your Options, a book for individuals who receive stock options and other forms of equity compensation.
- Capital Gains, Minimal Taxes, a book for investors who buy and sell stocks, mutual funds and options.
- Go Roth!, a book explaining Roth IRAs and Roth accounts in 401k and 403b plans.
We also offer one professional text:
- Equity Compensation Strategies, a book for professionals who offer advice on how to handle stock options and other forms of equity compensation.