Free Efile for Extension

April 9, 2013

If you can’t file by April 15, you should be aware that it’s easier than ever to file for a six-month extension. You can have a tax pro do it for you, or use tax software, but if push comes to shove you can file your federal extension online, free of charge, without regard to your income level. The IRS explains how to do this here.

  • Do this even if you owe money and can’t pay at this time. Filing for an extension doesn’t get you out of the late payment penalty, but it gets you out of the much worse late filing penalty — if you follow up by filing the return by October 15.

Sign up for our FREE NEWSLETTER