Other Tax Questions
Questions and comments on other topics covered in Fairmark.com, such as UTMA accounts, and any tax questions that don't fit our other categories.
Avoiding Tax Theft?
Posted by: GregE, October 28, 2017 05:38PM
In order to file tax returns ASAP to prevent theft, would there be any problem filing before getting W-2? Basically filing almost nothing ASAP, but filing nonetheless so it's recorded that you filed and prevents a thief from filing using your info, then filing an amended return later with all info that you have received?

Re: Avoiding Tax Theft?
Posted by: jlehrer, October 29, 2017 07:05PM
Please move this question to "other tax questions". You are in the wrong forum.

-J

Posted by: DeeDee, October 30, 2017 06:16AM
The IRS will give you an identity protection pin if you are concerned that your identity is at risk. That said, to answer your question, no there would usually be no problem filing before getting the W-2 so long as the IRS is accepting returns (Jan 23 was the first date they accepted returns in 2017). I assume you are speaking of filing electronically without having to physically attach the W-2.

Posted by: GregE, October 30, 2017 02:49PM
My concern is the Equifax hack but more broadly security in general. I know someone whose taxes were filed by someone other than him and I know he had to deal with that situation. Makes me know that we're at the mercy of a nefarious actor as we sit idle waiting for all of our tax forms to arrive before we file.

#
Off topic while on topic... :-)
Since the IRS will allow a PIN to someone who either has possible theft activity, or who has had theft occur, tells us the mechanism does exist and could be allowed to anyone. Seems it would be only a simple flag in the account that tells them you're allowed to have one.

Thank you for your response.

Posted by: Art, October 30, 2017 10:22PM
Many more W-2s this year will contain a Verification Code - six hexadecimal digits, and IRS will delay any refund where you do not include it in the E-File. So there might be a delay for early submission of a W-2 with missing verification code.

Posted by: DeeDee, October 30, 2017 10:52PM
Getting an IRS pin because of identity theft is not easy. The taxpayer must verify their identity through a series of questions. In our case, my spouse's identity was stolen and all the credit bureau's files were permanently frozen by us. So, first we had to unblock the credit freeze and then were able to verify identity online. Then re-block the credit freeze. The IRS times the issuance of the pins; they are not issuing them now. I believe they issue them in early January before they begin accepting returns, but it may be December. Then the pin is sent in the mail. Once you have a pin you get a new one every year in the mail. Certainly is peace of mind and worth the effort.

Posted by: motax, October 31, 2017 03:03PM
The IRS generally will not issue a filing PIN just because you think you might need it. You have to prove some form of identity theft has occurred and you are at risk. Many times the filing PIN does not work and the return does not process. This can create a lot of issues.

BTW, filing early and then filing an amended return is not a good plan.

Posted by: triad, November 1, 2017 12:36PM
The issuance of an IP pin is only if 1) the IRS issues you one due prior issues or 2) you live in FL, GA, or DC.

Posted by: motax, November 1, 2017 01:48PM
triad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The issuance of an IP pin is only if 1) the IRS
> issues you one due prior issues or 2) you live in
> FL, GA, or DC.

Yep. A lot of fraudulent tax returns use a FL address.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.