Other Tax Questions
Questions and comments on other topics covered in Fairmark.com, such as UTMA accounts, and any tax questions that don't fit our other categories.
Return of social security payments as foreigner
Posted by: 3376tdf, October 15, 2017 05:14PM
I am from France and have been working in the USA with a green card for 8.5 years. I have had FICA pulled from my paycheck for many years although I am still part of the french retirement system.


1) Is there someway to get a refund of money paid if I stop working today (ie. with less than the 10 years requirement)?
A) option 1—if I stay in USA as retiree
B) option 2-if I retire in france

2) If I stay working for 2 more years, does this change the answer to question #1 assuming I do not want to received monthly retirement payments under normal social security benefit rules.

Thanks much,

Re: Return of social security payments as foreigner
Posted by: Spirit Rider, October 15, 2017 06:17PM
1) No there is no way to receive a refund of anything but yearly excess employee contributions.

2) No.

However, there is quite likely a treaty between the U.S. and France on these issues. It "may" be possible that you can get credit in France for the years worked in the U.S or vice versa.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.