Other Tax Questions
Questions and comments on other topics covered in Fairmark.com, such as UTMA accounts, and any tax questions that don't fit our other categories.
Latest time you can File Electronically
Posted by: rwm, April 14, 2017 11:14PM
Taxes are due on April 18th this year, which is a Tuesday. In this case, I will owe money to the IRS and will want them to deduct the funds from my checking account on the 18th. If I file electronically using TaxAct or one of the other online tools, what is the latest I can do the final submit in the program to assure the IRS will have time to get the funds without charging any interest? On the online submission, you do get to specify the date you want the funds taken out, but if I wait until the 18th to do the submission, I don't see how they could still take the funds out on the 18th.

Or does it work the way it does with paper returns? In the case of a paper return, I can mail it on the 18th and only need a postmark with that date. If it takes a week to physically get to the IRS, it doesn't matter. Does it work the same way with online submissions? That is, is it ok if I do the submit any time on the 18th (before midnight) or do I have to do it a day or two ahead?

Re: Latest time you can File Electronically
Posted by: DeeDee, April 15, 2017 04:54AM
Not a direct answer to your question, but if your taxes are ready to be filed you can file them electronically now and specify that the tax be withdrawn from your checking account on 4/18.

Posted by: tomd37, April 15, 2017 02:54PM
To back up what DeeDee said, as a volunteer in AARP Tax-Aide, I always encourage the taxpayer desiring a direct debit of the balance due to delay the debit date by a week to ensure their return is accepted before the debit date.

Tom D.

Posted by: motax, April 17, 2017 02:37AM
I would e-file on 4-17 with a 4-18 balance due debit date. If the return is rejected, you can still mail the payment on 4-18. Or, you could e-file and still mail the payment by 4-18 and not opt for the direct debit.

FWIW, when I e-filed last week my return was accepted within one hour.

Posted by: tomd37, April 17, 2017 03:41AM
Our e-files acceptances are coming back in 15 to 20 minutes normally, but that is without any issues. Who knows what can happen on the last day or two!

Tom D.

Posted by: motax, April 17, 2017 05:57PM
But, if your e-file is rejected on say, April 18, you do have additional time for your return to be considered "timely filed"..... Like mailing a paper return and sending a check.

Posted by: tomd37, April 17, 2017 06:57PM
In our AARP Tax-Aide program we have until midnight of April 23rd to a successful acceptance, otherwise it is considered late.

Tom D.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.