Non-Tax Questions and Comments
Questions or comments about our forum software or this web site in general.
Looking for a Tax software..
Posted by: 47Percent, December 17, 2014 12:56AM

Can someone please suggest a tax software which will let me choose the tax forms and schedules I want to use and just enter the numbers into actual tax forms? I want the software just to ensure the numbers are validity checked and to perform the tax computation.

I am looking for doing what-if scenario calculations with cap gains, dividends, qualified dividends, rental income, etc. But I don't want to go through a long interview like process, and would like to avoid entering things like SSN, address etc. which are quite unrelated to the calculations themselves.

I really don't need the bumpers and guard-rails, nor do I need that software to do any actual filing -- in paper or electronically.

Thanks..

Re: Looking for a Tax software..
Posted by: Art, December 17, 2014 02:30AM
While I use UltraTax for my job, I use TaxWise for VITA and AARP Taxaide.

TaxWise is free if you volunteer for these pro-bono tasks.

I assume it is available for sale too.

And TaxWise comes pretty close to "select a form/Schedule and fill it in." It is good at arithmetic.

Posted by: tomd37, December 17, 2014 04:11AM
Love the Tax-Wise program, but I believe it is quite expensive for individual consumers. Nothing to base that on other than figures I heard in IRS presentations at state meetings.

Tom D.

Posted by: wpatch, December 17, 2014 10:21AM
You can use the forms mode on the basic H&R Block At Home software to run all of the standard individual tax forms without adding superfluous data such as names. Deluxe edition also gives you one state. You must upgrade two editions to the premier edition get the forms you require for TurboTax starting this year. Some people have been more successful in using TurboTax for some AMT issues.

Another satisfied AARP tax volunteer TaxWise user!

Posted by: Sven, December 23, 2014 07:19PM
I have found it useful while using TT to manually override certain entries on the forms when doing "what-if" work. You have to be careful because overridden numbers do not always ripple through the system. If you play around enough you get a sense of what you can do with overrides and what you cannot do.

I play around with a fairly realistic "base case" return. I am careful to make sure when I am done playing that I do not save the "what-if" information I entered. When you close without saving all the added stuff gets dumped and you are back to the base return the next time you feel the need to play.

Posted by: willingtoshare, February 7, 2015 01:30PM
Despite the recent security breach at Intuit, I have found TurboTax still to be the most user friendly software. I tried Taxslayer but it was somewhat confusing. For instance for 1099-DIV entries, I couldnt find any place to put tax exempt interest on the Federal. Havent tried HR Block or Olt yet this year

Posted by: Art, February 7, 2015 03:16PM
The 1099-Div entries should not list tax exempt interest items, even if this is called a dividend by the fund.

The tax exempt interest entries are entered on the 1099-INT screen.

Posted by: Kaye Thomas, February 11, 2015 04:17AM
Most of these programs have a "forms view" where you can enter numbers on forms without using the interview. Some may make it easier than others to do that. Worth noting that TaxACT offers a free version that includes all forms you're likely to encounter, both for online prep and download.

Kaye Thomas
Fairmark.com

Posted by: etelle, February 18, 2015 10:03PM
I have used TurboTax and H&R Block, each one of them for years.
With the recent controversy surrounding TurboTax, decided to try TaxAct based on a recommendation from a friend.
First, I was astonished at how cheap it was. I paid about $22 for a download of the "Deluxe" version which also includes a state return and e-file. This Deluxe version appears to have everything we need for investments and our small business.
Second, I was impressed at how much easier it is to use.
I haven't actually filed yet, so I don't know everything about TaxACT, but I think that I will never go back to one of those other programs again. I wonder why it took me so long to try this product! I think that I might have been put off by the cheap price and the fact that you can't buy it from a store.
They have cheaper versions than what I bought, even free if you are willing to store your financial information in the Cloud.
If interested, visit www.taxact.com to purchase.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.