Non-Tax Questions and Comments
Questions or comments about our forum software or this web site in general.
Forum Administrator Doing Good Job
Posted by: tomd37, September 24, 2013 02:26PM
The forum administrator is doing a great job lately deleting all the "junk" posts that have been popping up in the past week or so.

Tom D.

Re: Forum Administrator Doing Good Job
Posted by: Kaye Thomas, September 24, 2013 07:20PM
Thanks, this is the worst attack ever because they're using different email addresses and registrations for every post, so we can't stop them using the usual method of preventing a login from the offending registration. If it continues we'll have to modify our software to block this kind of thing, but I hope that won't be necessary because we can ill afford the time to take on this programming effort.

Kaye Thomas
Fairmark.com

Posted by: Art, September 24, 2013 07:45PM
Kaye

I'd like to add to Tom's Many Thanks!

Posted by: tomd37, September 24, 2013 09:14PM
Kaye,

I, among others I suspect, have been reporting the large volume of improper posts. Should I continue to do so or leave it to the administrator to see and remove them? Thanks.

Tom D.

Posted by: Kaye Thomas, September 24, 2013 09:27PM
Reports pop up on our screen without our needing to check the message board, so it helps if we get a report the first time you spot one or more of these messages. If there are multiple messages from the same source you don't have to report all of them, though. Just report one and we'll know to check for others.

Kaye Thomas
Fairmark.com

Posted by: cpw, September 26, 2013 07:17PM
FWIW...the posts seem to come from a name that starts with "re..."

Posted by: Sven, September 26, 2013 11:21PM
FYI, Kaye, my Symantec/Norton virus protection flagged the site yesterday as a potential source of problems. Could be related to all the junk showing up.

Posted by: Kaye Thomas, September 27, 2013 02:11AM
Ouch. We tweaked the software a bit and I have my fingers crossed that that will put an end to this particular problem.

Kaye Thomas
Fairmark.com

Posted by: Alan S., September 27, 2013 06:20PM
NOTE: Just got a virus warning from my antivirus program this AM that identified the Fairmark site.

Posted by: Kaye Thomas, September 27, 2013 06:33PM
Thanks for the information. We started out removing the messages as promptly as possible, then moved to various methods of blocking the messages before they appeared. None of those efforts were fully effective, so as you see, we're blocking all messages that contain links and we're cautiously optimistic that this will prevent further unwanted postings, albeit at some inconvenience to participants here. We removed about 200 postings from this spammer.

Kaye Thomas
Fairmark.com

Posted by: jainen, October 1, 2013 02:43PM
Looks like you got somebody mad this morning! What a waste. This site is such a beautiful service, it's just plain mean to trash it like that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.