Non-Tax Questions and Comments
Questions or comments about our forum software or this web site in general.
2000 versus 2010 edition of "Consider Your Options"
Posted by: dfrankow, April 4, 2013 06:12PM
I have the 2000 edition of "Consider Your Options". I see there's a 2010 edition that says:

"The 2010 edition is the seventh edition of this book, reflecting legal authorities as of May 31, 2010. Changes from the previous edition include a discussion of how strategies for incentive stock options may change in light of anticipated changes in tax rates."

How important is it that I get the 2010 edition? Is the 2000 edition literally false at this point, or is it just small changes?

Could I sell the 2000 edition or should I pitch it?

P.S. Thanks for the book. Very clear.

Re: 2000 versus 2010 edition of "Consider Your Options"
Posted by: Kaye Thomas, April 7, 2013 04:48AM
That was the first edition of our first book. Apart from changes in the law, we learned a few things over the years about what needs explaining and how to explain it. Most of what's in that edition is still accurate, and come to think of it, some things that changed after that edition have changed back (the top tax rates were reduced but have gone back up; we had a refundable AMT credit for a while but it expires as of 2012). But if you have options with significant value I'd say the new edition would be worth the investment -- and I believe I'd say that even without knowing a few dollars will find their way in our direction if you take that advice. As for selling a copy of a 13-year-old edition of a tax-oriented book, you're welcome to try and I sincerely wish you luck. We have a hard enough time trying to sell them when they're 3 or 4 years old.

Kaye Thomas
Fairmark.com

Posted by: dfrankow, April 7, 2013 02:48PM
Thanks. I bought the new one.

About reselling, you're right. The 2000 editions are on offer for $0.01, which means they're not selling: [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Sven, April 7, 2013 04:55PM
Hey, Kaye, you're an HLS grad, right. Why not donate the left over 2000 editions to Yale to put in their library. I suspect there's a Boris Bittker tax wing somewhere in it.

Posted by: Kaye Thomas, April 7, 2013 08:34PM
Actually the 2000 edition of CYO is what made it possible for me to transition from full-time lawyer to, well, whatever it is I do now. I don't know what insanity led me to print 10,000 copies, but the book became so successful so fast that we printed another 20,000 just a few months later, and still needed a third printing. Lucky timing, to come out with a book on stock options at the peak of the dot com bubble. For a while I wondered why people say publishing is such a hard business. But I suppose that's why there are still people with copies of the 2000 edition.

Kaye Thomas
Fairmark.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.