Non-Tax Questions and Comments
Questions or comments about our forum software or this web site in general.
Calculator to determine growth of mutual fund?
Posted by: DRT, April 2, 2013 02:09AM
This may be a long shot, but I thought I'd try here:
I purchased $2000 of a Fidelity mutual fund "X" back in 1987. I have the share price and # shares. I cannot remember if any additional shares were purchased after this initial purchase (I think not), and due to divorce, no papers exist other than the original purchase record.

My account history on Fidelity only shows me transactions from 1990 forward. I've asked them to research those "lost" years but have not had any success getting any more information.

I liquidated the entire fund last year for $16,500.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether the original $2K grew to $16.5K or were there additional shares purchased in 1988 or 1989. All dividends were reinvested. How can I calculate the growth of this fund without knowing how additional shares were automatically added through dividends? Generally the mutual fund performance sites only go back 10 years. Thanks

Re: Calculator to determine growth of mutual fund?
Posted by: LJM, April 2, 2013 11:03AM
Yahoo quotes has some, but not all symbols going back a little further than that. The attached quote for Fidelity Magellan historical prices goes back to 1986, and includes dividend and split information:
[finance.yahoo.com]

Lewis

Posted by: cpw, April 2, 2013 03:54PM
Does it really matter? Fido keeps track of all that (I have shares from the '60's), and whatever they say you have now should keep IRS at bay.

Posted by: Sven, April 2, 2013 09:37PM
I agree. In Fido we trust. I have FMAGX going way, way back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.