Non-Tax Questions and Comments
Questions or comments about our forum software or this web site in general.
health insurance
Posted by: bobju, June 1, 2011 02:53AM
Not sure if this is a proper topic here, so if no replies I will understand.

Very briefly, I am over 65, while wife is in 50's and has dependant kids. So, I am covered cheaply with my ex-employer's medicare program through Aetna. In adition, Aetna charges me an arm and a leg for other family members, even after my employer pays a significant portion. This increased greatly in 2011, and I expect it to rise again. My question is, does anyone know where a person in my situation could get decent family health coverage at reasonable costs? I will provide dollar amounts if that would help in answers. ( I know all about Obamacare, and hope it will be annulled, but dropping that won't necessarily solve all my problems with high costs).

Thanks for any insights, Bobju

Re: health insurance
Posted by: Bill Brown, June 1, 2011 02:01PM
First, the recently adopted health care legislation has close to zero effect on your current personal health insurance costs. Repealing that legislation will not solve any of your problems with high costs.

Second, what is "decent family health coverage at reasonable costs" depends upon your definition of "decent" and "reasonable." The only real advice anyone can give is to shop around.

Posted by: Drewremedy, June 6, 2011 06:52PM
Unrelated, : If you (not wife) have dependent kids well below 18-19 the math of signing up for SS now and collecting as well for your dependent children may outweigh the benefits of waiting until later--especially starting on day you hit FRA (probably 66) and are not subject to SS offset for excess earned income

I know of no way to get decent health coverage for less than a subsidized plan by employer w/o cutting coverage or upping the deductibles.

these days
Posted by: jainen, June 7, 2011 03:43PM
>>I know of no way to get decent health coverage for less than a subsidized plan by employer w/o cutting coverage or upping the deductibles.<<

Shop around. If the family is in good health, an individual policy may very well be significantly LESS than a group policy these days.

Posted by: californiawills01, February 27, 2013 05:21AM
Health care legislation has close to zero effect on your current personal health insurance costs. Repealing that legislation will not solve any of your problems with high costs. If the family is in good health, an individual policy may very well be significantly LESS than a group policy these days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.